Monday, March 23, 2015

Baby shower gifts

I have a friend who has been trying forever, it seems, to have a baby.  Last fall, she told us that she was pregnant...and with twins!   Marcie is a great teacher, and she loves kids.  I am so happy for her.  I know that both her mother and mother-in-law are anxious for little grand babies.  It seems like Marcie told us the news just yesterday.

Speed up time, and suddenly it is getting closer to have those little people show up.  They now had names....Liam for the little boy and Sabrina for the little girl.  (How adorable)  Both mom and Marcie's mother-in-law threw a BIG baby shower.  What to make?  I pondered over this for a while, then came up with the idea of glass block baby banks.  Later I thought about making 10x20 inch canvas frames for  baby pictures.  Today I will tell you about the glass block banks, and then tomorrow, about the frames.

This is what I came up with

Aren't they cute?  I took 8" blocks that I got from Michael's and cleaned them to get rid of the papers, glues, and fingerprints.  Using my Cricut machine I cut out things I thought would be appropriate for a little boy and for a little girl.  


Going with the theme..."Snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are made of."  I cut out vinyl, some worms...a sailboat, an airplane, a car, and a train.  This was my first time to use vinyl for something as big as this, and I like how it looked.  Using transfer tape and a scrapper, the cut outs went right on the glass block with hardly any bubbles.  Removing the bubbles weren't that hard.  


For Sabrina...we all know that "Sugar and Spice, and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of."  I used a ladybug, sand castle, flower, teddy bear, butterflies, and the word sweet. Once again I used the vinyl and applied them on the glass block.  I tied wide ribbon around the block and the opening is on the top.   Money was added through the top opening, then closed to keep it safe.  I think Marcy will like these.  Now that I have made some, I want to make more!


No comments: